Call: (949) 222-1290 Call: (949) 222-1290

Home » FAQs


faq150-8kOffice 949 222-1290     Fax 949 222-1289

When should I see a fertility specialist?

What kind of doctor specializes in fertility?

How much experience do you have?

What is IVF?

Does insurance cover fertility testing and treatment?

What do I need to do for new appointment?

How do I transport my eggs, embryos, or sperm to CCRM OC?

When should I see a fertility specialist?

In general women under 35 should see an Orange County fertility specialist if they have been trying to become pregnant for over one year. If a woman is 35 or above, then it is reasonable to visit a California fertility center after 6 months. Patients with known conditions (a low sperm count or a patient who wants to untie tubes, for example) may want to visit an Orange County fertility doctor sooner.

What kind of doctor specializes in fertility?

A Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI) specialist is a physician specializing in fertility, hormone issues, and reproductive surgery. To become a Newport Beach reproductive endocrinology and infertility specialist, REI doctors complete 4 years of OB/GYN residency then 3 years of Fellowship training. To become Board-Certified, these physicians prepare years of cases and defend clinical cases before the U.S. experts in the field. REI doctors prepare and take two sets of written and oral Board Exams, one for OB/GYN and one for REI. Not all physicians complete the fellowship training or pass their Board Exams, although they are still allowed to practice. An IVF doctor that is double Board-Certified represents those with the highest level of training and certification.

How much experience do you have?

Mark Kan MD has been in the field of reproductive medicine for over 20 years and has managed thousands of IVF and fertility cycles. At the Cornell IVF program, it was common for Dr. Kan to perform over 50 ultrasounds a morning and over 10 egg retrievals per day. He previously served as the Director for the IVF and Donor Egg program at the University of Washington Fertility and Endocrine Center. He has authored many scientific journal articles and has received numerous awards for his presentations on IVF techniques at national meetings of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine. Dr. Kan currently specializes in fertility and IVF in Orange County, California.

What is IVF?

IVF (in vitro fertilization) is the process of collecting a woman’s eggs and fertilizing them outside the body. The embryos are then grown for several days and eventually transferred back to uterus.

Does insurance cover fertility testing and treatment?

Some insurance companies cover fertility treatments at an infertility treatment center. Some plans cover only diagnostic testing but not treatment. To see if your plan covers testing or treatment, we encourage you to contact your health insurance company to understand your policy. We like to verify your benefits prior to your new appointment so you will know what is covered.

Newport Fertility Center accepts:


Anthem Blue Cross of CA

Blue Shield of CA PPO


Healthnet PPO

United Healthcare

Monarch Medical Group HMO

Newport Fertility Center does not participate with Covered CA policies regardless of Insurance Carrier; these are usually individual or small group policies.

CCRM of Orange County Surgery Center and IVF Lab do not participate with insurance. Services at these facilities are generally fee for service.

What do I need to do for a new appointment?

Scheduling a new appointment is easy, just call us at (949) 222-1290. At that time we can verify your benefits and you can download the appropriate forms from our website. Please bring the completed forms and any old records to your new appointment. If you have done IVF before, please bring your stimulation records, your embryology records, and any infectious disease testing. If you have had an HSG dye test, please contact the radiology department and obtain films or a computer CD of the images.

If you would prefer to talk with the doctor first, just call us for a free telephone consultation appointment.

How do I transport my frozen sperm, eggs, or embryos to CCRM OC? Please see this information sheet SCIRS to CCRMOC TRANSPORT

Do you have financing programs?

IVF loans

We are pleased to partner with Prosper Healthcare Lending for financial assistance with fertility treatment.